Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Matthews in Grant County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Covered Bridge

 
 
Covered Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, April 25, 2008
1. Covered Bridge Marker
Inscription. Built at New Cumberland in 1877 by William Parks of Marion at a cost of $722. The 1913 flood floated the bridge a half mile downstream. It was returned to its foundations by rollers and horsepower. New Cumberland was the second community in Grant County - founded in 1833
 
Erected by Grant County Historical Society.
 
Location. 40° 23.227′ N, 85° 29.277′ W. Marker is in Matthews, Indiana, in Grant County. Marker is on 4th Street south of High Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Matthews IN 46957, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cumberland Covered Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Village of Trask (approx. 3.1 miles away); Blackford County Revolutionary War Heroes (approx. 7.7 miles away); Blackford County Civil War Honor Roll (approx. 7.7 miles away); Blackford County Courthouse (approx. 7.7 miles away); Blackford County W.W. II Honor Roll (approx. 7.7 miles away); Blackford County Korea & Vietnam Honor Rolls (approx. 7.7 miles away); Blackford County W.W. I Honor Roll (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Matthews.
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsRoads & Vehicles
 
Covered Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 14, 2013
2. Covered Bridge Marker
View to north along 4th Street
Cumberland Covered Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, April 25, 2008
3. Cumberland Covered Bridge
Historic placard image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, April 25, 2008
4. Historic placard
This Coverd Bridge, Built 1877- 181 Ft. Long, Called Cumberland Bridge for Old Town. The 1913 flood carried the bridge downstream. It was returned on rollers to the old foundation and raised 3 feet. The 1958 flood threatened but only succeeded in loosening some of the weatherboarding. Restored 1999
Howe Truss with Steel vertical rods image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, April 25, 2008
5. Howe Truss with Steel vertical rods
Cumberland Covered Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, April 25, 2008
6. Cumberland Covered Bridge
National Register Placard image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, April 25, 2008
7. National Register Placard
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior
Dedication marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, April 25, 2008
8. Dedication marker
with special thanks to Larry barnett for his perseverance and dedication to the restoration of the Cumberland Covered Bridge, Sept 10, 1999
Covered Bridge Historical Society, Grant County Commissioners, Grand Co. Highway Department
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 30, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,485 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 30, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana.   2. submitted on January 26, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 30, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement