In 1891 Elias Lowenstein built this mansion which is the cities most important Victorian Romanesque residence and one of the finest of its styles in the South. After his death in 1919, his family donated it to the Nineteenth Century Club for use as a residence for young working women who did not have family in the city and, therefore, under social customs of the day were expected to live in a protected environment. A porch with cupola was removed in 1929 for construction of an annex.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commision. (Marker Number 4E-114.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 35° 8.576′ N, 90° 2.124′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memphis City Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away); Collins Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mallory-Neely House (approx. ¼ mile away); Campbell Clinic (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Mary's Cathedral Chapel and Diocesan House (approx. ¼ mile away); N. B. Forrest Camp 215 Sons of Confederate Veterans (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nathan Bedford Forrest III, Airman (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elvis Presley and Sun Records / Sun Records (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 25, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of opposite side of marker • Can you help?