Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Burkburnett in Wichita County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Red River

 
 
The Red River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 14, 2014
1. The Red River Marker
Inscription. Named for the red soil across which it flows, the main stream of the Red River is 1,360 miles long, and for 440 miles the river forms the Texas-Oklahoma boundary. For years, this was an international boundary. The 1819 treaty with Spain established the course of the Red River to the 100th meridian as part of the boundary between the United States and New Spain. Until after the 1845 annexation of Texas, the river did not lie entirely within the United States.
†††††During the Spanish colonial period, the waterway and the crossing here became a main gateway into Texas. In the mid-19th century, brisk steamer traffic went on at the eastern end of the river. A military expedition under Capt. Randolph B. Marcy in 1852 explored the river to its upper reaches in land held by Native Americans.
†††††In 1921, the Burkburnett oil boom here led to a dispute between Texas and Oklahoma over ownership of the valuable river bed. The Supreme Court in 1921 and 1923 upheld the south bank as the Texas border.
†††††This site is 25 miles west of the important Old Fort Sill Crossing on the major military road that once linked the Oklahoma fort to outposts on the Texas frontier. The bridge here, opened to traffic in 1927, is the second free bridge to span the Red River.
 
Erected 1968 by Texas Historical
The Red River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 14, 2014
2. The Red River Marker
View to north across E. 3rd Street
Marker is in center
Commission. (Marker Number 5408.)
 
Location. 34° 6.061′ N, 98° 32.856′ W. Marker is in Burkburnett, Texas, in Wichita County. Marker is on E. 3rd Street west of Interstate 44 Service Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burkburnett TX 76354, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burkburnett (here, next to this marker); Henry C. Luecke (approx. 13.3 miles away); George Alonzo Soule (approx. 13.3 miles away); Site of St. James Hotel (approx. 13.3 miles away); J. A. Kemp Wholesale Grocery Building (approx. 13.4 miles away); The Zale Legacy (approx. 13.4 miles away); Joseph Hudson Barwise (approx. 13.4 miles away); Texas Governor James V. Allred (approx. 13.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Red River. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “The Handbook of Texas”. (Submitted on June 25, 2014.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles
 
The Red River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 14, 2014
3. The Red River Marker
View to west along E. 3rd Street
The Red River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 14, 2014
4. The Red River Marker
View to east towards Interstate 44
Oil Drilling Equipment image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 14, 2014
5. Oil Drilling Equipment
Located behind marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 25, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement