Glenwood in Sevier County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
ZCMI Co-Op Building 1878-1930 / Glenwood Cooperative Mercantile
ZCMI Co-Op Building
Official outlet of ZCMI (Zion's Co-operative Mercantile Institution), "America's First Department Store". This building housed the "Glenwood Co-op" which began as the "United Order Store", and was part of the ZCMI co-operative system servicing more than 150 communities with retail commodities and services beginning in 1868.
Glenwood Cooperative Mercantile
The Glenwood Mercantile was erected by the United Order Building Board in 1878 as the retail operation of the Glenwood United Order. The oldest commercial outlet in Sevier County, it is one of the few remaining cooperative stores in all of Utah built during the United Order movement of the 1870's. Established in 1874 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Glenwood United Order required all participating members to give over their property, receiving in turn shares of the corporation. Prices in the store were set by the committee that also set local wages. The cooperative store was run by Bishop Archibald Oldroyd, president of the Glenwood United Order. By 1882 the Order was discontinued and the store transferred to private ownership. The name, Glenwood Cooperative, continued to be used.
In 1898 Neils Heilesen purchased
Erected 2008 by Roland Kendal and Carole B. Oldroyd and Division of State History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 38° 45.78′ N, 111° 59.433′ W. Marker is in Glenwood, Utah, in Sevier County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Center Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glenwood UT 84730, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glenwood United Order (approx. 0.8 miles away); Richfield Carnegie Library (approx. 5 miles away); Richfield Presbyterian Church and School (approx. 5 miles away); Richfield Pioneers (approx. 5.1 miles away); Fort Omni – Richfield (approx. Academy Hall (approx. 5.3 miles away); Old Lime Kiln (approx. 5½ miles away); Battle of Cedar Ridge (approx. 6 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 26, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.