Northwood in Logan County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Original Location
—A Busy Station on the Underground Railroad —
established here in 1848
by Dr. J.B. Johnston
moved to Beaver Falls Pa. in 1879
Logan Co. Historical Society
H, C. Marmon, pres. Hist. Soc.
J. R. Templeton, chair
O. K.Rreams R. H. Reed
Raymond LeVan F. M. Harsh
Paul Watkins D. C. Funk
H. W. Keys
Erected 1948 by Logan County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 28.333′ N, 83° 44.087′ W. Marker is in Northwood, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 101 and Ohio Route 638, on the left when traveling north on County Route 101. Touch for map. Marker is at the crossing of St Rt 638, Co. Rd. 101 and Co Rd 106 at the village of Northwood. Actual address is: 8160 Co. Rd. 101, Belle Center, Ohio 43310. Marker is in this post office area: Belle Center OH 43310, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belle Center War Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Belle Center Spanish American War Memorial (approx. 2.2 miles away); Solomon Town (approx. 2.6 miles Ohio State Eagles Recreation Park (approx. 2.7 miles away); LCPL Lewis E. Hughes II (approx. 2.7 miles away); Village Marshall Murray Griffin (approx. 2.8 miles away); Belle Center Jail (approx. 2.8 miles away); Quaker Meeting Place / Site of First Church and School in Rushcreek Township (approx. 4.2 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is not at exact location of site, but is on public right-of-way adjacent.Original site was destroyed by construction of St Rt 638. Actual buildings stood at 8274, 8288, and 8384 Co. Rd. 101, or "Main Street"" in West Geneva.
Regarding Geneva College. Geneva College was founded here in 1848. This area was a strong Underground Railroad center. Many of the conductors were students or local Presbyterian farmers. The many natural limestone caves offered hiding places for escaping slaves. The college moved to Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania in 1879. The village was also called “West Geneva”. After the college left, the Post Office eventually closed, and the name reverted to Northwood. Some of the buildings remained into my lifetime. Of the names on the second plaque,
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on June 27, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.