Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Garner in Wake County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Garner Historic District

 
 
Garner Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 8, 2014
1. Garner Historic District Marker
Inscription. “In 1851 landowners in the St. Mary’s District of Wake County witnessed the arrival of the railroad. The first business was operated by Henry Fort, a former slave, farmer and cabinetmaker. A post office was established in 1878. The General Assembly incorporated the town in 1883, then known as Garner’s Station, but in 1901 Garner’s Station incorporation was repealed. By 1896 the population was 250. Garner Depot was constructed in 1902 to service passengers and became a shipping point for baled cotton. In 1905 the town was reincorporated as the Town of Garner. The artesian well is located approximately five feed north of this plaque. The town’s corporate limits were south, east and west of this well and north to the railroad tracks.” Downtown Garner Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
 
Location. 35° 42.407′ N, 78° 36.319′ W. Marker is in Garner, North Carolina, in Wake County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Rand Mill Road on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Garner NC 27529, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fall of Raleigh (approx. 4.1 miles away); Mount Hope Cemetery
Garner Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 8, 2014
2. Garner Historic District Marker
(approx. 4˝ miles away); Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (approx. 4.7 miles away); Leonard Medical School (approx. 4.8 miles away); Estey Hall (approx. 4.8 miles away); James H. Young (approx. 4.9 miles away); Shaw University (approx. 4.9 miles away); Governor’s Palace of North Carolina (approx. 4.9 miles away).
 
Regarding Garner Historic District. Southern Railway’s named passenger train the Carolina Special between Goldsboro, Asheville and points in the Midwest stopped in Garner, according to 1925 timetables. It was the first stop after Raleigh on the way to Goldsboro.
 
Also see . . .  Garner Town History. Excerpt: “Before the railroad tracks traversed the area that would soon become Garner, cotton and tobacco crops, which were vital to the growth of Garner through the twentieth century, dominated the land. The lack of buildings on right-of-way maps from the 1850s illustrates how sparsely populated this area was. Sometime before 1870, the railroad acquired a ‘wood and water’ stop, roughly located in what is now Downtown Garner. Although it wasn’t a depot,
A Portion of the Garner Historic District image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 8, 2014
3. A Portion of the Garner Historic District
the railroad must have contributed to the growth of the settlement as a post office was needed by 1878. ‘Garner’s Station’ was established with the construction of a post office in 1878 and the Town of Garner’s Station incorporated in 1883. Within one year Garner’s Station was a prospering town with several general stores. For unknown reasons, the charter was repealed in 1891.” (Submitted on June 27, 2014.) 
 
Additional keywords. North Carolina Railroad, Southern Railway
 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsRailroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 227 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement