Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Manti in Sanpete County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

The First Presbyterian Church of Manti

 
 
The First Presbyterian Church of Manti Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 14, 2014
1. The First Presbyterian Church of Manti Marker
Inscription. This mission church and school constructed in 1881 of native oolite limestone in the Greek Revival style was designed by architect Peter Van Houghton of Salt Lake City. The church was constructed under the supervision of Reverend G.W. Martin who arrived in Manti in 1879 and remained in Manti until his death forty years later. The church was one of several Presbyterian churches built in central Utah's Sanpete and Sevier Valleys under the direction of Reverend Duncan McMillan, Presbyterian Mission Superintendent in Utah from 1875 to 1917.
 
Erected by Division of State History. (Marker Number N-295.)
 
Location. 39° 15.775′ N, 111° 38.209′ W. Marker is in Manti, Utah, in Sanpete County. Marker is on South Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 165 South Main Street, Manti UT 84642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Big Fort (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Manti Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cox-Shoemaker-Parry House (approx. mile away); Manti City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles
The First Presbyterian Church of Manti Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 14, 2014
2. The First Presbyterian Church of Manti Marker
away); Log Fort (approx. 0.4 miles away); L.R. & Clara Anderson House (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Patten House (approx. half a mile away); Pioneer Memorial Cabin (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manti.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
The First Presbyterian Church of Manti image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 14, 2014
3. The First Presbyterian Church of Manti
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 227 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement