Watchman's Flag Shanty, West Shore Railroad
The West Shore crossed Main Street west of Salt Road.
The watchman's flag shanty guarded the West Shore Railroad crossing on Main Street in the Hollow. The watchman's shanty was a small building adjacent to the tracks. It was furnished with a bench, a comfortable chair and a small coal stove. The long-handled stop sign hung outside the door within east reach when a train approached.
The watchman's shanty at the West Shore crossing Main Street.
In 1959, the watchman's job was abolished. Mrs. Phyllis Ruszaj saved the shanty from destruction. It was moved by wagon to the Melvin Ruszaj farm on Salt Road. Michael and Barbara Scott donated the shanty to the Historical Society of Clarence in 2004.
The West Shore depot in Clarence Hollow was built in 1884.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goodrich-Landow Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarence Town Park (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Our Comrades / In Grateful Memory (about 600 feet away); Town of Clarence - First Grist Mill in Erie County (about 700 feet away); Town of Clarence - Ransom's Grove (approx. ¼ mile away); Niagara Frontier (approx. 1.8 miles away); Clarence Center (approx. 2.8 miles away); J. Eschelman and Company Store (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarence.
More about this marker. Marker is on the grounds of the Clarence Historical Society Museum. It is at the rear of the parking lot for the museum. The museum is on Main Street (NY 5) by the exit for Clarence Town Park (Cummings Road). The railroad has been gone for many decades.
Also see . . .
1. Clarence Historical Society. (Submitted on July 4, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. West Shore Railroad - Wikipedia. (Submitted on July 4, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 280 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 4, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.