Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pulaski in Giles County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Gabriel McKissack

 
 
Gabriel McKissack Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 23, 2014
1. Gabriel McKissack Marker
Inscription. During the years following the Civil War, Gabriel Moses McKissack (1840-1923) laid the foundation in Giles County for a family building tradition that included the first black architectural firm in the United States, Nashville's McKissack and McKissack. Numerous building throughout Tennessee were designed by the McKissack firm. A carpenter and a son of a master craftsman and freedman Moses I. Gabriel fathered six sons with whom many Giles County buildings are associated.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3F 40.)
 
Location. 35° 12.384′ N, 87° 1.518′ W. Marker is in Pulaski, Tennessee, in Giles County. Marker is at the intersection of East Grisby Street and Childers Street on East Grisby Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pulaski TN 38478, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bridgeforth High School (approx. mile away); Pulaski Courthouse Square Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Donald Grady Davidson (1893~1966) John Crowe Ransom (1888~1974) (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sam Davis (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sam Davis Avenue Historic District
Gabriel McKissack Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 23, 2014
2. Gabriel McKissack Marker
(approx. 0.7 miles away); Walter Hershel Beech (approx. mile away); South Pulaski Historic District (approx. mile away); Trail of Tears (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pulaski.
 
Categories. African AmericansIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 17, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement