Pulaski in Giles County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
General John Adams, CSA
Adams spent the next five years at Fort Crook, California, on frontier duty, except for two years as a recruiting officer. He resigned in 1861, then went to Tennessee to enlist in the Confederate army. As a captain of cavalry, he was placed in command at Memphis, advancing to the rank of colonel by May of 1862 and then brigadier general by December of that year. Adams took over Brigadier General Lloyd Tilghman’s command of the Mississippi infantry brigade after Tilghman’s death in 1863. During the campaign to relieve Vicksburg, Adams served under Gen. Joseph E. Johnston, later joining Lieutenant General Leonidas Polk in Mississippi. Adams was transferred to the Army of
Adams was killed in the Battle of Franklin on November 30, 1864, while leading his regiment in a forceful but unsuccessful attack on Union forces.
Erected by Pulaski Heritage Trail.
Location. 35° 11.616′ N, 87° 1.716′ W. Marker is in Pulaski, Tennessee, in Giles County. Marker can be reached from South Rhodes Street north of East Cemetery Street, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located in Maplewood Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pulaski TN 38478, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General John Calvin Brown (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas McKissack Jones (within shouting distance of this marker); Maplewood Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edward Everett Eslick (1872-1932) (about 300 feet away); John Adams (about 700 Nunahi-Duna-Dlo-Hily-I (about 700 feet away); Trail of Tears (about 800 feet away); The Benge Route (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pulaski.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for General John Adams, CSA.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 411 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 8, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.