Minor HIll in Giles County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Sam Davis Capture Site
Confederate veteran James C. Braley and his wife, Sarah, lived near the capture site. Mrs. Braley kept a hand-drawn map that showed the Lamb’s Ferry Road and an old plum stump. After the land was sold, the new owner dug up the stump, but Mrs. Braley had no trouble locating the spot. Civic leader William C. Vaughan and the citizens of Minor Hill raised $250, matched by the
(upper left) Sam Davis Giles County Historical Society
(lower center) Gen. Greenville M. Dodge Courtesy Library of Congress
(upper center) Coleman’s Scouts reunion, Nashville, 1866, with Sam Davis's brother John standing in center with Capt. Henry B. Shaw (“Coleman”) seated in front of him Courtesy Tennessee Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans
(upper right) Giles County Courthouse, ca. 1863-1864, showing Union troops in formation Courtesy United Daughters of the Confederacy
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 2.336′ N, 87° 10.41′ W. Marker is in Minor HIll, Tennessee, in Giles County. Marker is at the intersection of Sam Davis Circle and Monument Drive, on the right when traveling south on Sam Davis Circle. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Minor Hill TN 38473, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Sam Davis (here, next to this marker); Minor Hill War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Confederate Retreat at Sugar Creek (was approx. 2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Noblit-Lytle House (was approx. 2.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Sugar Creek Engagement (approx. 3.6 miles away); Sim Corder/Harrison Mill (approx. 7˝ miles away in Alabama); Cunningham Cemetery (approx. 8˝ miles away in Alabama); Grassy Memorial Chapel and Cemetery (approx. 8˝ miles away in Alabama).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 8, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.