West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Flagler Park, formerly known as City Park, has been an important public space in West Palm Beach since the founding of the community. The town site for West Palm Beach was laid out in 1893 as a grid pattern of streets running north - south and east - west. The only variation was at the eastern end of Clematis Street, where two angled, short streets branched off to create a triangular, public common area. Over the years, the site has seen a variety of uses. Downtown merchants organized impromptu ball games on the park-like grounds when business was slow. In 1900, a two-story, frame building was donated for use as a reading room and transported across Lake Worth from Palm Beach. It was placed on the southeastern portion of the parcel. The Woman's Christian Temperance Union dedicated a drinking fountain in the Park in 1907. In 1915, a Woman's Club was placed on the parcel. Other amenities were also added to the park, including a shuffleboard court and a bandstand for outdoor concerts. As the City's population expanded during the 1920's, the facilities of the Reading Room were outgrown and a library was built in 1923. It opened in January 1924, as the Memorial Library, named to honor the dead of World War I. It too was outgrown and was replaced by another library in 1962. In 1994, the library was remodeled and the plaza in front of
Erected 1999 by City of West Palm Beach and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-423.)
Location. 26° 42.823′ N, 80° 2.94′ W. Marker is in West Palm Beach, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker is at the intersection of North Flagler Drive and North Clematis Street, on the right when traveling south on North Flagler Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Palm Beach FL 33401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old St. Ann's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); West Palm Beach Fishing Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cocoanut Grove House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sea Gull Cottage (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Royal Poinciana Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Former State of Florida Board of Health Laboratory c.1921 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clematis Street Commercial Historic District (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Palm Beach.
Categories. • Entertainment • Landmarks •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2014, by Paige Spence of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 362 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on July 9, 2014, by Paige Spence of Tampa, Florida. 2. submitted on July 10, 2014, by Paige Spence of Tampa, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.