Near Nephi in Juab County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The great Indian chiefs before and during the Walker and Black Hawk Indian Wars used this campsite as a meeting place. They called it Punjun Spring and said it was without bottom and that in the still of the evening a baby's cry could be heard from its depths.
Richard James Burraston and his wife Emma Price were called to settle this area in 1865. They were to protect the mail route. They had private livestock under the Burraston brand. They managed a large cattle operation for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In 1878, over 1,000 head of cattle, taken from this ranch, provided funding for the Mormon Church's purchase of what is now Snowflake and St. Johns, Arizona.
In 1879, railroad ties from Mount Nebo timber were used for the building of the Utah Southern Railroad.
In 1901, this pond site was gifted to the State of Utah by Mr. Burraston to commemorate its statehood and for the enjoyment of the people.
Erected 1987 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 434.)
Marker series. Daughters of Utah Pioneers, and the Dominguez y Escalante Expedition marker series.
Location. 39° 47.688′ N, 111° 51.809′ W. Marker is near Nephi, Utah, in Juab County. Marker is on Burraston Road 0.7 miles west of Old Highway 91, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nephi UT 84648, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mona Bicentennial Memorial Park (approx. 1½ miles away); Old Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Salt Creek Fort (approx. 5.6 miles away); Early Schools (approx. 5.6 miles away); Juab Co. Jail (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Old Mill Wheel (approx. 6.2 miles away); Oscar M. Booth House (approx. 6.3 miles away); Salt Creek Canyon Massacre (approx. 10½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nephi.
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 12, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.