Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Steinkopf & Sons Tents & Awnings

Historic Third Ward

 
 
Steinkopf & Sons Tents & Awnings Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, August 16, 2011
1. Steinkopf & Sons Tents & Awnings Marker
Inscription.
This property has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places

Steinkopf & Sons Tents & Awnings
Architect Unknown

Tour Site 46
1902

 
Erected by Historic Third Ward Walking Tour. (Marker Number 46.)
 
Location. 43° 1.873′ N, 87° 54.429′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Broadway and East Menomonee Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Broadway does not go through at this point; you must park and walk to front of building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 143 North Broadway, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Birth of Pizza in Milwaukee (a few steps from this marker); Clemens H. Kalvelage Warehouse (a few steps from this marker); Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Third Ward Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); Milwaukee Terminal Building (within shouting distance of this marker); W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron Works
Steinkopf & Sons Tents & Awnings image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, August 16, 2011
2. Steinkopf & Sons Tents & Awnings
building is at left in photo
(within shouting distance of this marker); Marine Terminal Building (within shouting distance of this marker); O.R. Pieper Co. Grocers (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
 
Regarding Steinkopf & Sons Tents & Awnings. The original owner, Steinkopf & Sons Tents & Awnings, built this structure in 1902. A candy manufacturer established operations here in 1915. Then, from the mid-1950s until 1994, Frank Dragotta operated Dragg's Cafe, a neighborhood tavern. A previous first floor occupant, Cafe Marche, brightened the space with extensive interior remodeling. Utrecht, an art supply store, now occupies the space. The upper floors are residential. - Historic Third Ward Walking Tour brochure
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on July 16, 2014, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 24, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement