Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

George Ziegler & Co. Candy Manufacturers

Historic Third Ward

 
 
George Ziegler & Co. Candy Manufacturers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, November 1, 2011
1. George Ziegler & Co. Candy Manufacturers Marker
Inscription.
This property has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places

George Ziegler & Co. Candy Manufacturers
Designed by H.D. Schnetzky

Tour Site 27
1890

 
Erected by Historic Third Ward Walking Tour. (Marker Number 27.)
 
Location. 43° 1.987′ N, 87° 54.562′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on North Water Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 223 N. Water St., Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Friend & Marks Co., Clothiers (within shouting distance of this marker); W.P. Reilly & Bros. (within shouting distance of this marker); Patek Brothers, Paint, Oil & Glass Manufacturers (within shouting distance of this marker); Keenan Building (within shouting distance of this marker); S. Jung Company Liquor Wholesale (within shouting distance of this marker); Cawker Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Monarch Manufacturing Co., Clothiers
George Ziegler & Co. Candy Manufacturers image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, November 1, 2011
2. George Ziegler & Co. Candy Manufacturers
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goll & Frank Co. Notions and Dry Goods (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
 
Regarding George Ziegler & Co. Candy Manufacturers. George Ziegler & Company commissioned H.P. Schnetzky in 1890 to design the headquarters for its candy manufacturing operation. Ziegler's specialties were mint lozenges, gum drops, rock candy, and chocolate cream drops, and in 1894 the firm became the first in the state to produce marshmallows. Although a portion of the structure was demolished, Miller-Armstrong Costume Service occupied what remained of the original building until 2001. In 2001, the building was completely renovated and now houses Rustico, a restaurant on the first floor; on the upper floors, it houses offices. - Historic Third Ward Walking Tour brochure
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 71 times this year. Last updated on July 16, 2014, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement