White Sulphur Springs in Greenbrier County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
- symbol of The Greenbrier since 1835 because it sits atop the White Sulphur Spring. "Taking the waters" - either by bathing or by drinking for medicinal purposes - was the foundation of this resort. Earliest recorded use of the mineral water was in 1778. Atop the dome is Hebe, the Greek Goddess of Youth.
Erected by The Greenbrier.
Location. 37° 47.249′ N, 80° 18.77′ W. Marker is in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, in Greenbrier County. Marker and Springhouse are on the grounds of The Greenbrier. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 West Main Street, White Sulphur Springs WV 24986, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named The Springhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Tennis and the Outdoor Swimming Pool (within shouting distance of this marker); President's Cottage (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old White (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Greenbrier Clinic and Project Greek Island Kate's Mountain (approx. 0.4 miles away); White Sulphur (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dry Creek Battle (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in White Sulphur Springs.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . The Greenbrier, America's Resort. (Submitted on July 16, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Environment • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for The Springhouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 391 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.