Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bartlett in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Bartlett, Tennessee

 
 
Bartlett, Tennessee Marker image. Click for full size.
By Thomas S Parker, April 21, 2008
1. Bartlett, Tennessee Marker
Inscription. A toll road of 1829 became Stage Road, Bartlett's main street. In 1856 the town was called Union Depot. Incorporated in 1866 and named Bartlett for Major Gabriel Matson Bartlett. Shelby County Courts were held here from 1870-1885. In 1885 Bartlett School was chartered. School erected in 1917 named for Dr. Nicholas Blackwell, a pioneer settler of Bartlett.
 
Erected 1980 by City of Bartlett and the Shelby County Historical Commission.
 
Location. 35° 12.24′ N, 89° 52.128′ W. Marker is in Bartlett, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Stage Road (Tennessee Route 15) and Bartlett Road, on the right when traveling east on Stage Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in Elva T. Bledsoe Historic Park. Marker is in this post office area: Memphis TN 38134, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Geographical Center of Shelby County (within shouting distance of this marker); Nicholas Gotten (approx. mile away); Bartlett Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Ann Catholic Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Nashoba
Bartlett, Tennessee Marker image. Click for full size.
By Thomas S Parker, April 7, 2008
2. Bartlett, Tennessee Marker
Marker as seen from Stage Road
(approx. 2.2 miles away); Oak Grove Baptist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Warren Chapel Pisgah Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Raleigh Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartlett.
 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Geographic Center of Shelby County image. Click for full size.
By Thomas S Parker, April 21, 2008
3. Geographic Center of Shelby County
This is an additional Marker in Elva T Bledsoe Historical Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2008, by Thomas S Parker of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 1,420 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 2, 2008, by Thomas S Parker of Memphis, Tennessee. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement