Mammoth in Juab County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Site of the Tintic Hospital
(1902 - 1933)
Originally operated by Drs. Mott, Townsend and Stephens, it was purchased by Dr. Steele Bailey Sr. and Dr. Charles Harvielle in 1904. Dr. Steele Bailey Jr., who at that time was attending medical school, later joined his father and brother-in-law in the practice of medicine in 1904. He continued to operate the hospital until 1933 when he moved to Eureka, Utah.
The services rendered to the people of the district during the influenza epidemic of 1918 will long be remembered, as also the numerous emergency treatments given the miners and their families of the district.
The original building was destroyed about 1935.
Erected 1974 by The Tintic Historical Society.
Location. 39° 55.536′ N, 112° 7.615′ W. Marker is in Mammoth, Utah, in Juab County. Marker is at the intersection of Gold Street and Main Street, on the left when traveling south on Gold Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the southeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Eureka UT 84628, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured Mammoth Fire Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Bullion Beck & Champion Mining Company Headframe (approx. 1.7 miles away); Juab County Courthouse (approx. 2 miles away); McCornick and Company Bank (approx. 2 miles away); Old Eureka Post Office (approx. 2 miles away); B.P.O.E. Block, Elk Lodge #711 (approx. 2 miles away); Eureka City Hall (approx. 2 miles away); Union Pacific Railroad Depot (approx. 2 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 293 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 17, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.