Franklin in Macon County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
A Unique Command
Several Macon County men, both white and Cherokee, joined Thomasís Legion. Among the Cherokee were several from Sandtown, a village just west of Franklin in the Cartoogechaye area. The chief of Sandtown, who also served, was Chuttahsotte or Jim Woodpecker, to whom Thomas himself gave a long rifle made by the renowned Gillespie family of mountain gunsmiths.
William Holland Thomas (February 5, 1805-May 10, 1893) was the first and only white man to serve as a Cherokee chief. An influential figure in antebellum Western North Carolina, he was instrumental in establishing the Qualla Boundry (the reservation
Col. Thomas gave this Gillespie rifle to Chuttahsotee (also known as Cha-Cha Sottee, Chutahsotih, Jim Peckerwood, and James Woodpecker), a Cherokee who served in Thomasís Legion. Chuttahsottee (ca.1799-August 15, 1879) was one of a small number of Cherokee who remained in Macon County after the 1835 Treaty of New Echota, which resulted in the forced removal of most Cherokee to Oklahoma in 1838-1839 on the Trail of Tears. Chuttahsotte and Cunstagih, his wife, who died a few days after him, are buried in the Saint Johnís Episcopal Church cemetery in Franklin, and a marker stands over their grave. The rifle is now on exhibit next door at the Macon County Historical Museum.
(left) Macon County Confederate veterans on parade at a reunion in 1900, looking northeast from this spot, with the old Macon County Courthouse on the left. - Courtesy of Macon County Historical Society
(upper right) William H. Thomas - Courtesy North Carolina Office of Archives and History
(lower right) Chuttahsoteeís Rifle - Courtesy Macon County Historical Museum
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 10.902′ N, 83° 22.902′ W. Marker is in Franklin, North Carolina, in Macon County. Marker is on West Main Street (Business U.S. 441) east of Macon Avenue. Touch for map. The marker is next to the Macon County Historical Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 W Main St, Franklin NC 28734, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dixie Hall (a few steps from this marker); Macon County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Echoe (within shouting distance of this marker); Nikwasi Mound (approx. half a mile away); Nikwasi (approx. half a mile away); Silas McDowell (approx. 5.7 miles away); Cherokee Victory (approx. 9.6 miles away); Coweeta Hydrologic Laboratory (approx. 10.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.