Sidney in Capital Regional District, British Columbia — The Canadian Pacific
Sidney sawmill began in 1892 to cut lumber for the V&S Railway. After initial success it flagged and was in receivership by 1913. Closed until 1917, it was revived by GH Walton. By 1920 it employed about 150 men, the largest workforce in the area. In 1934, following a fire, it closed, another victim of the Great Depression.
Saanich Canning Company was incorporated in 1904 by JJ White and J Wilson, both of Sidney; it met the need for seasonal canning of clams, fruit and berries. At peak times it employed over 100 workers. In 1939 the company was sold to BC Packers, and subsequently, to Canadian Canners. In 1966, after a few years as a site to process seaweed fertilizer, the buildings were demolished.
Sidney Rubber Roofing Company was the sole manufacturer in western Canada of rubber roofing. Incorporated in 1912, it processed felt roofing manufactured in its Victoria plant. In 1921 the Sidney facility burned down. The factory was consolidated in Victoria and later moved to Vancouver. It is best remembered for duroid shingles.
[Inset photo captions
1. Sidney waterfront, c. 1920. Sidney Cannery, Copeland & Wright Boatyard, and Sidney sawmill office are visible.
(Helen Cochrane Collection P985.15.1)
2. Lumber storage shed of Sidney Lumber Co., later Mitchell & Anderson Hardware, demolished 1981.
(Sidney Archives P985.18.2)
3. Sketch of Sidney sawmill (D Muralt).
4. Workers at the Sidney Sawmill, c.1921.
(Alice Nunn Collection P983.27.1)
5. Saanich Brand label, c. 1940.
6. Clams on barge with cannery in background.
(Sidney Archives P981.5.8)
7. Waterfront view of Saanich Cannery, sawmill and ferry dock, c.1934
(Art Musclow Collection)
8. Portion of 1924 Fire Insurance map showing the Sidney Cannery.
9. Workers in the cannery.
10. A part of the clam fleet at Saanich Cannery.
(Sidney Archives P993.28.1)
11. Sidney Rubber Roofing Company. Built in 1913, the plant contained an engine shed, two large processing structures, each about 140'x 50', wharf and two steel tanks each holding 10,000 gallons.
(Sidney Archives P993.26.1)
12. Sidney Sawmill
(May John Collection P981.1.1)
Visit the Museum and Archives at the corner of Beacon Avenue and Fourth Street.
Erected by Town of Sidney, Sidney Museum and Archives, Alexander's Coffee Company and Their Angels.
Location. 48° 38.961′ N, 123° 23.606′ W. Marker is in Sidney, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Touch for map. Marker is along the waterfront walking path adjacent to Beacon Park, north of Beacon Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Sidney, British Columbia V8L 4X3, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mayor's Community Builder Awardees at Beacon Park Pavilion (within shouting distance of this marker); War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Port of Entry Beacon (within shouting distance of this marker); Year of the Ocean (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named War Memorial (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Black Pioneers in British Columbia (approx. 8.1 kilometers away); The Italian Garden (approx. 10.8 kilometers away); Star Pond (approx. 10.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sidney.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.