Alburgh in Grand Isle County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Historic Lake Islands - Samuel De Champlain
These islands were first seen by a European in 1609, when Samuel de Champlain explored the Lake which bears his name and claimed them for the King of France. Ceded in 1763 to Britain, they became part of the Royal Colony of New York. After 1776, several American Revolutionary heroes received Land Grants here and two islands were so named. In 1783, the area joined the Free and Independent Republic of Vermont. Here is history and legend of the famous Allen family, the Green Mountain Boys, Rogers Rangers, and many others.
Erected 1965 by Vermont Board of Historic Sites.
Location. 44° 59.178′ N, 73° 17.76′ W. Marker is in Alburgh, Vermont, in Grand Isle County. Marker is on N.Main Street (U.S. 2) 0 miles south of Missle Base Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located next to the Alburgh Welcome and Visitor Information Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 70 N. Main Street, Alburgh VT 05440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Missile Site (a few steps from this marker); Fort Montgomery (approx. 3.2 miles away in New York); David Mayo's Sail Ferry (approx. 3.3 miles away in New York); The Bohannon Site (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of First School House (approx. 3.4 miles away in New York); The "White House" (approx. 4 miles away in New York); Point au Fer Historic Site (approx. 4 miles away in New York); Caldwell Manor (approx. 5.4 miles away in Canada). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alburgh.
Also see . . . Don't confuse with another marker of the same name!. Another marker, identical to this one both in title and text was erected on the Route 2 causeway between Milton and South Hero, Vermont. (Submitted on January 31, 2013, by Steve Bergeron of Milton, Vermont.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Exploration • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2011, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 579 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on July 19, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photo 1. submitted on November 18, 2011, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.