Cove Fort in Beaver County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
A Farm and Way Station
The Willdens planted five cottonwood trees and started construction of “Fort Willden” here on the bank of Cove Creek in 1860. They erected an adobe house and a corral, enclosing both in a 150-foot-square cedar post stockade. They also raised a crop of grain. Before retreating to Beaver for the winter, they “cached” their grain for spring planting, carefully storing it for their return.
Their newlywed daughter and her husband were trapped here by a late winter snowstorm in 1861. Because the adobe house had no coverings over the windows, the couple built a small dugout cabin for shelter and warmth and subsisted on the grain cached there in the fall.
In the spring the whole family moved back and built a two-room home in the eight-to-ten-foot-high stockade. Many travelers found Fort Willden a convenient stopover
After a harsh winter and with the growing threat of the Blackhawk war, the Willdens abandoned the fort in 1865. Early in 1867 the deserted fort was used to set up an office of the Deseret Telegraph. Later that year the Cove Fort pioneers arrived, and for several years they used Fort Willden as part of their larger complex.
Erected 1996 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Location. 38° 36.082′ N, 112° 34.837′ W. Marker is in Cove Fort, Utah, in Beaver County. Marker can be reached from Utah Route 164 one mile north of Interstate 70. Touch for map. Marker is at the north entrance to the parking lot for Cove Fort visitor center. Marker is in this post office area: Beaver UT 84713, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cove Fort (a few steps from this marker); Kanosh (approx. 15.9 miles away); 1867 Chief Kanosh Memorial 1976 (approx. 15.9 miles away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 20, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.