Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Jonas Green House
The 1718 Stoddert survey map indicates William Bladen as the first recorded owner of lot 42. Charles Carroll purchased the property in 1725 and may have been responsible for the construction of the original side hall, double parlor plan when he and several other members of the General Assembly brought Jonas Green and his wife Ann Catherine to the colony in 1738. Green was designated the printer of the province in 1740, revived the Maryland Gazette in 1745, served as postmaster, job printer, city councilman, mason and vestryman at St. Anne's Parish. Following his death in 1767, Anne Catherine continued to publish the Maryland Gazette, the first woman in the colonies to do so. The foundations of Jonas' and Anne's print shop lie buried behind the house today. The dwelling has been consistently occupied by direct descendants of Jonas Green since his wife's death in 1775.
Location. 38° 58.598′ N, 76° 29.52′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Charles Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Sign of the Bible (a few steps from this marker); First Synagogue in Annapolis (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church of Annapolis (about 500 feet away); Mann's Tavern (about 600 feet away); The Maryland Inn (about 600 feet away); 64 Franklin Street (about 700 feet away); This tablet (about 700 feet away); 167 Main Street at Conduit Street (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for The Jonas Green House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 285 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.