Montclair in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Washington’s Temporary Headquarters
on this site near the turn of the old road
marks the location of a house used by
General George Washington
as temporary headquarters
on October 26, 1780
while on march from Totowa now Paterson
to support Lafayette’s expedition against
the enemy on Staten Island.
In commemoration of that event
this tablet is erected
by the Eagle Rock Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
Sons of the American Revolution
October 26, 1922
“Eternal Vigilance is the price of Liberty”
Erected 1922 by Eagle Rock Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution and the Montclair Chapter Sons of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, the George Washington Slept Here, and the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 40° 49.221′ N, 74° 13.267′ W. Marker is in Montclair, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Valley Road (County Route 621) and Claremont Avenue (County Route 654), on the right when traveling south on Valley Road. Touch for map. Marker is on the northwest corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Montclair NJ 07042, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. 647 Bloomfield Avenue (approx. ¼ mile away); Cranetown (approx. ¼ mile away); First Primary School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hillside School War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); 45 Church Street Plaza (approx. 0.4 miles away); 40-46 Church Street (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hampton House (approx. half a mile away); The Crane Building (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montclair.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,434 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.