East Bolton in Memphrémagog MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
Former Bolton Township Hall
French text appears above English text.
Passage of the Municipal and Road Act for Lower Canada in 1855 resulted in the construction of many public halls in the English-speaking communities of rural Quebec during the second half of the 19th century. This township hall was erected in 1867 by community members using wood obtained locally. It served as a council chamber and social meeting place as well as accommodating a school on the ground floor. A fine example of regional building traditions, this structure stands as a graceful tribute to the development of local self-government and to community spirit.
Erected 1984 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 45° 12.177′ N, 72° 21.37′ W. Marker is in East Bolton, Quebec, in Memphrémagog MRC. Marker is on Missisquoi Road (Quebec Route 245) 0.2 kilometers north of Nicholas-Austin Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 858 Missisquoi Road, East Bolton, Quebec J0E 1G0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this marker Reginald Aubrey Fessenden (approx. 6.3 kilometers away); The Old Academy (approx. 12 kilometers away); Tibbits Hill School (approx. 15.5 kilometers away).
More about this marker. Marker is attached to the Town Hall to the right of the main entrance
Also see . . . National Historic Site - East Bolton Town Hall. (Submitted on July 30, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 332 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.