Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bellefontaine in Logan County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Powell Park, the Old Burial Ground

Major John Tullis and William Powell

 

—the Founders of Bellefontaine —

 
William Powell marker close up image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 17, 2014
1. William Powell marker close up
Inscription.
In memory of

William Powell
1757- 1835
who fought in the
American Revolution
1775- 1783

erected by his grand daughter
Mary Powell
Honorary regent of Bellefontaine
Chapter Daughters of the American
Revolution
1914

 
Erected 1914 by Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 40° 21.832′ N, 83° 45.765′ W. Marker is in Bellefontaine, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is at the intersection of Oakland Square and North Elm Street, on the left when traveling east on Oakland Square. Touch for map. there are two markers, in a small city park, behind the First Lutheran Church. Park is bounded by Oakland Square, North Elm, West Brown, and Central Court. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Oakland Square, Bellefontaine OH 43311, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Railroad in Logan County (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Free Servicemen's Canteen, 1942-1946 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clarence L Knowlton Library
John Tullis plaque image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 31, 2014
2. John Tullis plaque
plaque has been found in storage at the Logan County Historical Society
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Bellefontaine World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Honorable William Lawrence (approx. ¼ mile away); Blue Jacket Town (approx. ¼ mile away); George Washington Memorial Tree (approx. ¼ mile away); Logan County Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellefontaine.
 
More about this marker. text of second marker-

In memory of
John Tullis
a Revolutionary
soldier and one
of the founders
of Bellefontaine

(DAR emblem)

placed by
Bellefontaine chapter
Daughters of
The American Revolution
1928

 
Regarding Powell Park, the Old Burial Ground. The plaque of the second marker is missing. It has been located at the Logan county Historical Society Museum, on East Columbus, in Bellefontaine.

I created a photo to show the plaque in place
 
Additional keywords. Northwest corner of the original city plat
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
William Powell marker, the Old Burial Ground image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 17, 2014
3. William Powell marker, the Old Burial Ground
John Tullis marker, note plaque is missing image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 17, 2014
4. John Tullis marker, note plaque is missing
Powell Park, the Old Burial Ground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 31, 2014
5. Powell Park, the Old Burial Ground Marker
fanciful rendition of what monument originally looked like. Bronze plaque was stolen and recovered about thirty years ago. It has been in storage since then.
original plat of Bellefontaine, Ohio, from the personal archives of Dr. Ronald Irick image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, circa 1820
6. original plat of Bellefontaine, Ohio, from the personal archives of Dr. Ronald Irick
the upper left corner (Northwest) is the original burial ground. Many years later the Bellefontaine Cemetery was laid out on the east side of town. The old burial ground then became a City Park. The DAR marked the grave sites of the two founders of the city.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 352 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 31, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement