Portage in Livingston County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Civil War Parade Ground
1862 - 1865
130th N.Y. Regt., later 1st N.Y. Dragoons and 136th N.Y. Regt. of Infantry, 1862
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 42° 35.013′ N, 78° 1.909′ W. Marker is in Portage, New York, in Livingston County. Marker is on Parade Grounds Entrance Road half a mile north of Portage Street (New York State Route 436), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located within Letchworth State Park. The Parade Grounds Entrance is not a through road. It leads to cabin areas D and E and the parade grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Hunt NY 14846, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Portage (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First New York Dragoons / 136th New York Infantry (about 500 feet away); William Pryor Letchworth 1823 - 1910 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Genesee Valley Canal (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Grateful Memory of William Pryor Letchworth (approx. 0.6 miles away); This Ancient Seneca Council House (approx. 0.6 miles away); To the Memory of Mary Jemison (approx. 0.6 miles away); Nancy Jemison Log Cabin (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portage.
Related marker. another marker that is related to this marker. Monument for the 136th at Gettysburg.
Also see . . .
1. Letchworth State Park History. (Submitted on July 31, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Letchworth State Park - New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. (Submitted on July 31, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 263 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 31, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.