Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Allanburg in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
 

The Old Welland Canal

 
 
The Old Welland Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
1. The Old Welland Canal Marker
Inscription. Originally conceived in 1818 by its promoter, William Hamilton Merritt, to divert trade from the Erie Canal and New York and built under private auspices, the canal was opened to traffic in 1829. After additional work in 1833, the canal with its 40 wooden locks linked Port Colborne on Lake Erie and Port Dalhousie on Lake Ontario and brought prosperity to its environs by permitting the export of Upper Canadian staples through New York. In 1841 reconstruction was begun by the Canadian government to improve the canal's military and commercial value.
 
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
 
Location. 43° 4.583′ N, 79° 12.68′ W. Marker is near Allanburg, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is on Canboro Road (Provincial Highway 20) just east of Holland Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. This historical marker is located on a stone cairn, in a small roadside park, at the west end of the bridge carrying Road 20 over the Welland Canal. Marker is in this post office area: Allanburg, Ontario L0S 1A0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. DeCou House Monument (approx. 4.7 kilometers away); The Founding of Thorold
The Old Welland Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
2. The Old Welland Canal Marker
View of the historical marker affixed to a stone cairn.
(approx. 5.2 kilometers away); In Memory of Unknown American Soldiers (approx. 5.2 kilometers away); Beaver Dams (approx. 5.2 kilometers away); Laura Ingersoll Secord (approx. 5.2 kilometers away); In Memory of John Bean, Ph.D., M.D. (approx. 5.2 kilometers away); Arthur S. Whelan (approx. 5.3 kilometers away); Lock 24 - First Welland Canal (approx. 6.5 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .
1. The Old Welland Canals Field Guide. This is a link to information provided by the oldwellandcanals website. (Submitted on June 20, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

2. Abandoned Ontario: the old Welland Canals. This is a link to information provided by the SkyscraperCity website. (Submitted on June 20, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

3. Welland Canal. This is a link to information provided by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (Submitted on June 20, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
 
The Old Welland Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
3. The Old Welland Canal Marker
View, looking east along Canboro Road (Route 20), of the historical marker, with the bridge over the Welland Canal in the background.
The Old Welland Canal, Roadside Park image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
4. The Old Welland Canal, Roadside Park
View of a giant pulley wheel (with the canal bridge in the background) that is part of the roadside display where the historical marker is located.
The Old Welland Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
5. The Old Welland Canal Marker
View of the historical marker in the background of the roadside park display piece.
The Old Welland Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
6. The Old Welland Canal Marker
View of the historical marker with the roadside park display in the background and a portion of the Welland Canal in the distant background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 493 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on August 2, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   4, 5, 6. submitted on June 21, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement