Niagara Falls in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
highest point was situated the
largest Indian Ossuary yet
discovered in the Province.
First discovered in 1828.
Bones and sand removed in 1908.
Erected 1934 by Niagara Falls Canada.
Location. 43° 8.308′ N, 79° 6.083′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is at the intersection of St. Paul Avenue and Pinestone Road, on the left when traveling north on St. Paul Avenue. Touch for map. This historical marker is on the southwest corner of the intersection, and is situated next to a large cairn. Marker is in this post office area: Niagara Falls, Ontario L2J, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stamford Cottage (here, next to this marker); Niagara Portage Road (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Headquarters of DeRottenberg (approx. 2.2 kilometers away); The Burning of St. Davids 1814 (approx. 2.2 kilometers away); Buried Railway Trestle and Buried Gorge (approx. 2.5 kilometers away); Niagara Falls Park and River Railway Sheaffe's Path to Victory (approx. 2.7 kilometers away); Niagara River Recreation Trail (approx. 2.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls.
More about this marker. This historical marker is actually two markers for the same historical feature. The original marker was part of a large stone cairn, with the text inscribed on a flat, cut stone slab, imbedded within the north face of the stone cairn. But since the inscription has become somewhat weather worn, it would seem that an additional metal historical marker, facing north, with a near identical text, was added to the site of this historical marker.
Regarding Indian Ossuary. Upon visiting the Ontario's Historical Plaques website, some additional facts regarding this historical marker can be discovered and some additional vintage pictures can be viewed. Apparently, at one point in time, the Stamford Cottage text, on the south side of the cairn, was covered up by a related historical plaque that was sponsored by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board. However, sometime between a photo dated from 1987 and another photo dated 1989 this
The information provided at this website also indicates that there is evidence that the cairn was moved from its original site when the subdivision was developed. The original location is not currently known, so the original distances detailed in the text of this marker would be skewed.
Also see . . . Stamford Park. This is a link to information provided by the Ontario's Historical Plaques website. (Submitted on June 25, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on August 2, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 25, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.