Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Niagara-on-the-Lake in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
 

John Graves Simcoe

1752-1806

 
 
John Graves Simcoe Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
1. John Graves Simcoe Marker
Inscription. Simcoe was born in Northamptonshire and educated at Oxford. He joined the British army in 1771, and from 1777-81 commanded the Queen's Rangers, a Loyalist corps in America. After the Loyalist influx had led to the creation of a separate province of Upper Canada in 1791, Simcoe was named its first lieutenant-governor. During his five years of office the province's basically British and monarchical character and institutions took shape. After he left Canada in 1796 he held a succession of military and colonial offices, and died in Exeter shortly after being appointed Commander-in-chief for India.
 
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
 
Location. 43° 15.141′ N, 79° 3.577′ W. Marker is in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is on Ricardo street just south of Nelson Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. This historical marker is located beside the north pedestrian gate to the Navy Hall National Historic Site, at a traffic circle off of Ricardo Street that is about 1 km east of King Street. Marker is in this post office area: Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named John Graves Simcoe (within
John Graves Simcoe Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
2. John Graves Simcoe Marker
shouting distance of this marker); The Early Years (within shouting distance of this marker); Later Years (within shouting distance of this marker); Navy Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir Isaac Brock's First Burial Site (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Fort Niagara (about 210 meters away); A Strategic Site (about 210 meters away); The Fortified Mouth of the Niagara River (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
 
Also see . . .
1. John Graves Simcoe. This is a link to information provided by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (Submitted on June 20, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

2. John Graves Simcoe. This is a link to information provided by a web site entitled Early Canada Historical Narratives. (Submitted on June 20, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

3. Simcoe, John Graves. This is a link to information provided by the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online. (Submitted on June 20, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
John Graves Simcoe Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
3. John Graves Simcoe Marker
View of the historical marker located beside the north pedestrian gate to the Navy Hall National Historic Site.
 
 
Categories. Notable Persons
 
John Graves Simcoe Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
4. John Graves Simcoe Marker
Another view of the historical marker located beside the north pedestrian gate to the Navy Hall National Historic Site, with a distant view, in the background, of the hill that Fort George is located on.
John Graves Simcoe Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
5. John Graves Simcoe Marker
View of the historical marker, located beside the north pedestrian gate to the Navy Hall National Historic Site, at a traffic circle off of Ricardo Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 461 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on August 2, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 20, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement