Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bladensburg in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Market Square & Stone House

Bladensburg Archaeology

 

—Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail —

 
The Market Square & Stone House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
1. The Market Square & Stone House Marker
Inscription. Christopher Lowndes, a prominent English merchant, constructed a small stone building here around 1760. Although he lived at Bostwick on the hill to the east, this property stayed in the Lowndes family until 1883. Over the past 250 years, Lowndes's stone building appears to have served as a post stop, a general store, and a domestic residence. During the 18th century people would have met in the space in front of the house, known as the "market square" to trade goods and visit with their neighbors.

Although free and enslaved people of African descent were part of the Bladensburg community, there is no evidence of them being bought and sold here. Indentured servants from Great Britain disembarked at the Port of Bladensburg, but slave ships from Africa were unloaded at Georgetown and Annapolis.
 
Erected 2014 by Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail marker series.
 
Location. 38° 56.351′ N, 76° 56.209′ W. Marker is in Bladensburg, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Annapolis Road (Maryland Route 450) and Kenilworth Avenue (Maryland Route 201) when
The Market Square & Stone House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
2. The Market Square & Stone House Marker
traveling east on Annapolis Road. Touch for map. Marker is just east of the Kenilworth Avenue Overpass. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4713 Annapolis Road, Bladensburg MD 20710, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hilleary-Magruder House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Casualties of War (about 300 feet away); Bostwick (about 600 feet away); British Stopover (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Bostwick (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Bostwick (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Bostwick (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Bostwick (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bladensburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Market Master's House and Square: An Introductory History. Bladensburg Archeology Project, Friday May 29, 2009. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 

2. An Artist's View. Les Barker's discussion of his painting of the Market Master's House. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 

3. Interactive Paintings,. Three Les Barker paintings of Bladensburg including "Open for Business" with mouse-over commentary. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
The Market Square & Stone House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
3. The Market Square & Stone House Marker
 
 
Categories. African AmericansColonial EraIndustry & CommerceMan-Made Features
 
Open For Business image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
4. Open For Business
Close-up of Les Barker's painting on marker
Archaeology image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
5. Archaeology
While digging here in 2009 and 2010, Maryland State Highway Administration archaeologists found fancy plates and expensive tea wares. The presence of such upscale artifacts in yard of this humble building was curious. Further research revealed this house may have served as a store in the 18th century. To learn more about archaeology of Bladensburg, visit www.bladensburgarchaeology.com.
The Market Master's House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 9, 2013
6. The Market Master's House
The Market Master's House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 9, 2013
7. The Market Master's House
The Market Master's House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
8. The Market Master's House
4006 48th Street
Bladensburg, Maryland
Market Master's House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 9, 2013
9. Market Master's House
1760
Built by
Christopher Lowdes
Front Door image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 9, 2013
10. Front Door
The Market Master's House, with PG County Historic Property Plaque
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   3. submitted on August 4, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 3, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement