Lower Falls Camp SP-49
Letchworth State Park
Many of the men who served in camp SP-49 went off to fight in World War II. The barracks, which they had built and lived in, were pressed into service as shelters for prisoners of war.
During World War II, the Camp SP-49 barracks were used to house German prisoners of war. This tie pin from a German military uniform was one of many items found after the barracks were taken down at the war's end.
Erected by Letchworth State Park.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 42° 35.475′ N, 78° 0.644′ W. Marker is in Genesee Falls, New York, in Wyoming County. Marker is on Cabin Areas A and B Road 1.2 miles east of the north-south main Park Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. CCC Statue (within shouting distance of this marker); William Pryor Letchworth 1823 - 1910 (approx. 1.2 miles away); Civil War Parade Ground (approx. 1.2 miles away); Camp Portage (approx. 1.2 miles away); First New York Dragoons / 136th New York Infantry (approx. 1.2 miles away); Genesee Valley Canal (approx. 1.3 miles away); Wolf Creek (approx. 1˝ miles away); This Ancient Seneca Council House (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Genesee Falls.
Also see . . .
1. Letchworth State Park - New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Exploring Letchworth State Park History. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 248 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.