Caneadea Historic Camelback Bridge
(Genesee River Access Site location)
1902 Flood destroyed wooden bridge
1903 Camelback Parker Truss Bridge built by Groton Bridge Works at a cost of $6,360.00.
1952 Wooden floor replaced with iron grating
1990 "Grandparents of the Future" chained themselves to the bridge in protest to the NY State Nuclear Siting Commission
1993 Allegany County closed the bridge
1995 Grass roots committee formed to save the bridge 1998 Bridge was accepted to the State and National Registers of Historic Places 2006 Extensive renovations are done to reopen the bridge 2007 Caneadea Bridge reopens and is rededicated
Allegany County Department of Public Works Federal Highway Administration New York State Department of Transportation Preservation League of New York State Save Caneadea Bridge Rededicated May 5, 2007
Location. 42° 22.913′ N, 78° 9.305′ W. Marker is in Caneadea, New York, in Allegany County. Marker is at the intersection of New York State Route 19 and County Route 49, on the right when traveling north on State Route 19. Touch for map. Marker is on a stone located at the Genesee River Access, Caneadea Site. Marker is in this post office area: Caneadea NY 14717, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies.
More about this marker. This is an identical twin to the marker at the bridge itself. See the entry for the twin marker for close bridge pictures.
Also see . . .
1. Caneadea Bridge - Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Caneadea Bridge - Historic Bridges.org. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.