Cahaba in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
St. Luke's Episcopal Church
In 1878, after the decline of the town, the church was moved 11 miles to Martin's Station Alabama. Over a hundred years later archaeologists were able to uncover the footprint of the structure that once stood here, compare it to the measurements of the church in Martin's Station, and confirm the building's original location. A layer of soil was then brought in to protect the site and to illustrate the layout of the church.
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 32° 18.99′ N, 87° 5.82′ W. Marker was in Cahaba, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker was on Vine Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located to the right of the stone marker on Vine Street. Marker was in this post office area: Orrville AL 36767, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Footprint of a Church (a few steps from this marker); Cahawba - circa 1500 Major Hiram Solon Hanchett (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Castle Morgan & Jesse Hawes (about 300 feet away); Civil War Prison (about 300 feet away); A Prison Chimney? (about 300 feet away); Vine Street (about 300 feet away); Cahaba First State Capital (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cahaba.
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a new one named Footprint of a Church (see nearby markers).
Also see . . . Old Cahawba, "Alabama's most famous Ghost Town". (Submitted on October 3, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,144 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on August 3, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.