Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The C-119G “Flying Boxcar”
The venerable C-119, developed after World War II by Fairchild Aircraft Corporation, carried cargo, personnel, litter patients and mechanized equipment, and dropped cargo and troops by parachute. The first C-119 flew in November 1947. By the time production ceased in 1955, more than 1100 had been built. The Air Force used the C-119 extensively during the Korean Conflict. Many were employed also by the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps and the Air Forces of Canada, Belgium, Italy, and India. In South Vietnam, the aircraft once again entered combat as the AC-119 "gunship." It was equipped with side-firing weapons capable of firing up to 6,000 rounds per minute each.
The C-119G on display in Gen. Mitchell Air Reserve Station's Heritage Park has been painted to replicate the Flying Boxcar with tail number 51-2680, assigned to the 440th Troop Carrier Wing (Medium). That aircraft and the ten people on board were lost on June 5, 1965, in the seas off the coast of Grand Turk Island, located at the far southeast end of the Bahama Islands. None of the crew nor the aircraft were recovered, nor was the cause of the accident ever determined. The 440th operated the C-119 from 1957 to 1971, when it converted to the A-model C-130 Hercules.
C-119 Specifications and Performance Information
Wing span: 109
Length: 86 ft 5¾ in
Height: 26 ft 7¾ in
Weight: 66,900 lbs max
Engines: Two Wright R-3350s, developing 3500 horsepower each
Cost (new, circa 1955): $590,000.00
Maximum speed: 290 mph
Cruising speed: 200 mph
Range: 2,000 miles
Service Ceiling: 30,000 ft
Erected by 914th Airlift Wing (Air Force Reserve).
Location. 43° 7.174′ N, 78° 56.456′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station, New York, in Niagara County. Touch for map. Marker is temporarily located next to the gazebo in Heritage Park, near the aircraft on static display The park is adjacent to the station entrance off Lockport Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2720 Kirkbridge Drive, Niagara Falls NY 14304, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fairchild C-119 "Flying Boxcar" (within shouting distance of this marker); Douglas C-47 "Skytrain" (within shouting distance of this marker); Bergholz (approx. 1.9 miles away); La Salle Built the Griffon (approx. 3.1 miles away); In Memory of the Men of the Town of Wheatfield (approx. 3.2 miles away); Niagara Falls Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); Dickersonville Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away); Fort Schlosser (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station.
More about this marker. Access is restricted due to the location being an air base adjacent to Niagara Falls International Airport.
Also see . . .
1. Fairchild C-119J "Flying Boxcar" Fact Sheet. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. C-119G "Flying Boxcar" at Strategic Air and Space Museum. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Fairchild C-119 "Flying Boxcar" History at YouTube. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Air & Space • War, Cold • War, Korean • War, Vietnam •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.