Pattersonville in Schenectady County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Johnson Hall – 1763
—Historic New York —
Sir William Johnson (1715-1774), Indian trader, statesman, diplomat and Colonial Empire Builder, in 1763 built Johnson Hall, the center of his estate and the scene of many Indian conferences.
Coming from Ireland in 1738, Johnson traded with the Indians and acquired great influence over them. After defeating the French at Lake George in 1755, he was created a baronet and made Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the Northern Colonies. In 1766 he ended the Pontiac uprising, and in 1768 negotiated the Treaty of Fort Stanwix.
At Johnstown, which he founded and colonized, Johnson Hall stands as a monument to his constructive achievement.
Erected 1961 by New York State Education Department.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic New York marker series.
Location. 42° 53.792′ N, 74° 5.817′ W. Marker is in Pattersonville, New York, in Schenectady County. Marker is on New York Thruway (U.S. I-90), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Pattersonville Travel Plaza on the New York Thruway. Marker is in this post office area: Pattersonville NY 12137, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this Hoffmans Ferry (approx. one mile away); First Church in Glenville (approx. one mile away); Wolf Hollow (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Wolf Hollow (approx. 2 miles away); Scotch Church Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Associate Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Jan Mabie House, 1670 (approx. 3.9 miles away); Jan Mabee House (approx. 3.9 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 4, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.