The Mansion on Delaware Avenue
Charles F. Sternberg, who owned a grain elevator on Ohio Street, commissioned the Mansion as a private residence in 1869 at an estimated cost of $200,000. Architect George M. Allison, about whom little is known, designed several costly dwellings in the Second Empire Style on Delaware Avenue in the 1860s and mid 1870s. Only the Sternberg house remains.
What is the Second Empire Style?
The Second Empire Style combined features from various styles. Mid-19th century architects reasoned that no age produced the perfect architectural expression and that they could benefit from all the best of the past. The Second Empire style was borrowed from France. It is named for the reign of Napoleon III (1852-70).
A Colorful Past.
Samuel Curtis Trubee purchased this house in the 1880s, built an annex and turned the estate into a 100-room hotel. During Buffalo's turn-of-the-century heyday it was the most expensive hotel in town at $3 a night. It also served for many years as Victor Hugo's Wine Cellar, a legendary Buffalo restaurant and nightspot.
These grotesquely carved figures project from a gutter and are intended to throw rainwater clear of a building. In the case of the Mansion, this Griffin-like gargoyle serves as a symbol of the building's rebirth
The House of LIght.
The Mansion has more than 175 windows, 14 of which are large bay windows. The windows and 18 feet high ceilings were an indication of great wealth due to the enormous expense of heating with coal.
An Exciting Restoration.
After standing vacant for 25 years, the property underwent a $3 million restoration and was reopened in 2001 as The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, an historic 28 guestroom and Suite luxury hotel. In 2004, The Mansion received the prestigious AAA Four Diamond award, making it the first and only Four Diamond hotel in the Buffalo/Niagara region.
The Mansion on Delaware Avenue
For more information on Buffalo Niagara's architecture, click on www.visitbuffaloniagara.com
Location. 42° 53.745′ N, 78° 52.518′ W. Marker is in Buffalo, New York, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Delaware Ave (New York State Route 384) and Edward Street on Delaware Ave. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 414 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo NY 14202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Dorsheimer House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Buffalo Club (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity Church
Also see . . . The Mansion on Delaware. (Submitted on August 7, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 7, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.