Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hales Corners in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery

 
 
St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, August 6, 2014
1. St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Saint Mary’s, the oldest church in the area, has a recorded history dating from 1842. At that time Father Patrick O’Kelley was the priest in attendance and a log church had been constructed on the present cemetery site. The second church, a frame structure which included living quarters for the pastor, served until 1893. Next the congregation erected a steepled brick church and used it for 67 years. A school was built in 1953, and in 1959 an addition to the school was begun which provided new larger quarters for worship as well as additional room for the students. The sanctuary was extensively remodeled in 1982. John Furlong, one of the earliest parishioners, donated land for the cemetery. The earliest head stone records a burial in 1842.
 
Erected by Hales Corners Historical Society. (Marker Number 10.)
 
Location. 42° 56.91′ N, 88° 1.913′ W. Marker is in Hales Corners, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on West Edgerton Avenue 0.1 miles north of West Forest Home Avenue (Wisconsin Highway 24), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9550 W. Edgerton Ave., Hales Corners WI 53130, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured
St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, August 6, 2014
2. St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery Marker
as the crow flies. Janesville Plank Road (approx. ¼ mile away); Wisconsin's Lime Industry (approx. half a mile away); Boyhood Home of Jeremiah Curtin (approx. 0.6 miles away); Turn of the Century Business District (approx. one mile away); Hales Corners – A Farm Village (approx. one mile away); The German Evangelical Church / Brach’s Animal Hospital (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hales Corners – A Suburb (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hales Corners – A Crossroads Community (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hales Corners.
 
Also see . . .  Church Web-page:. (Submitted on August 18, 2014.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, August 6, 2014
3. St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery Marker
Looking northwest along West Edgerton Avenue.
St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, August 6, 2014
4. St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery Marker
Another plaque dedicated by the church in 1967.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 286 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 7, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement