Santa Fe in Santa Fe County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
—Commemorative Walkway Park —
Erected 1886 by The Inn at Loretto. (Marker Number 4.)
Location. 35° 41.367′ N, 105° 56.007′ W. Marker is in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in Santa Fe County. Marker is on Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street. Touch for map. It is at Hillside Park. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Fe NM 87501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1680 (a few steps from this marker); 1598 (a few steps from this marker); 1848 (a few steps from this marker); 1692 (a few steps from this marker); 1540 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1862 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1776 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1912 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Fe.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry for Pedro de Peralta. “San Gabriel was remote from the main Pueblo Indian population centers. Juan de Ońate had planned to move the capital south to the Santa Fe River valley. Peralta selected a defensible site with ample available land and a good water supply for the town, which he called Santa Fe. He and his surveyor laid out the town, including the districts, house and garden plots and the Santa Fe Plaza for the government buildings. These included the governor’s headquarters, government offices, a jail, arsenal and a chapel. On completion, the plaza could hold ‘1,000 people, 5000 head of sheep, 400 head of horses, and 300 head of cattle without crowding.’ The palace was built for defense with three-foot-thick adobe walls. The Palace of the Governors is now the oldest continuously occupied building in the United States, and as of 1999 housed the Museum of New Mexico.” (Submitted on August 13, 2014.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.