Arboretum in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The sandstone for the columns came from quarries at Aquia Creek, Virginia. Architect Charles Bullfinch oversaw completion of the Capitol portico in 1826 using a design handed down by his predecessors, William Thornton and Benjamin Henry Latrobe. An Englishman, George Blagden, oversaw the stone cutters. Giovanni Andrei, a native of Italy, was in charge of the carvers: it took a carver 6 months to produce one capital.
The principal ornamentation on the bell-shaped capital is an Acanthus leaf, a plant native to the Meditteranean region. The plant may be found growing in the Dioscorides Garden at the National Herb Garden.
Proceed across the meadow to closely view the columns and reflecting pool.
Erected by Friends of the National Arboretum.
Location. 38° 54.58′ N, 76° 58.212′ W. Marker is in Arboretum, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Eagle Nest Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Morrison Azalea Garden (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Capitol Columns (about 600 feet away); National Capitol Columns (about 700 feet away); The Hub (approx. one mile away); Culture and Commerce (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mediterranean Imports (approx. 1.2 miles away); Enterprising Families (approx. 1.2 miles away); Clark Calvin Griffith (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arboretum.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 5, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,403 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 5, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.