Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

15th Georgia Infantry

Benning's Brigade

 

—Law's Hood's Division —

 
15th Georgia Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 7, 2014
1. 15th Georgia Infantry Marker
Inscription.
C.S.A.
Georgia.
15th Infantry.
Colonel Dudley M. DuBose.
Major P.J. Shannon.
Benning's Brigade.
Law's Hood's Division.
Noon, September 20, 1863.

 
Erected 1898 by the State of Georgia. (Marker Number MT-1304.)
 
Location. 34° 55.275′ N, 85° 15.792′ W. Marker is near Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker can be reached from Poe Road west of Lafayette Road. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in the national park that preserves the site of the Chickamauga Battlefield, along the west side of the national park's battlefield tour roadway called Poe Road. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 20th Georgia Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Benning's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); 17th Ohio Infantry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battery D, 1st Michigan Artillery (about 300 feet away); Connell's Brigade (about 300 feet away); Lumsden's Alabama Battery
15th Georgia Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 7, 2014
2. 15th Georgia Infantry Marker
View of the historical monument, looking west, at the end of a cleared line through the woodlands, along which several Georgia Regimental Monuments have been placed.
(about 400 feet away); Van Derveer's Brigade (about 400 feet away); Battery D, 1st Michigan Light Artillery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
 
More about this marker. This particular Georgia Regimental Monument, is part of a line of Georgia Regimental Monuments that runs perpendicular to the southern end of the Union line of Regimental Monuments that are situated north to south along the park's Poe Road.

According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, "A rock-faced, peaked-top granite slab, 4'6" wide x 6' high x 1'8" thick, that carries an inscription, with a cartridge box carved in relief above it. Marks unit's position on September 20, 1863, at 12:00 noon."

I used the "Chickamauga Battlefield" map, that I purchased at the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Visitor Center, to determine both the monument number for this marker and the marker's location in relation to the rest of the park's monuments, markers, and tablets. According to the map it provides the, "numerical listing of all monuments, markers, and tablets on the Chickamauga Battlefield (using the Chick-Chatt NMP
15th Georgia Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 7, 2014
3. 15th Georgia Infantry Marker
A closer view, looking west, of the historical monument, at the end of a long clearing, in the middle of a densely forested area of the battlefield.
Monument Numbering System)."
 
Also see . . .  National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on March 23, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
15th Georgia Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 7, 2014
4. 15th Georgia Infantry Marker
View, looking east, of this Georgia Regimental Monument, showing it being located back at the end of a long and narrow clearing in the woods, far from the roadway, along a line of Georgia Regimental Monuments and Brigade tablets.
15th Georgia Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 7, 2014
5. 15th Georgia Infantry Marker
View of the historical monument located in a narrow clearing in a thickly wooded area.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 14, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement