Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dickerson in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

1862 Antietam Campaign

Lee Invades Maryland

 
 
Lee Invades Maryland Marker image. Click for full size.
By Grace Corpuz Miller, August 9, 2014
1. Lee Invades Maryland Marker
Inscription.
Fresh from victory at the Second Battle of Manassas, Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia crossed the Potomac River on September 4-6, 1862, to bring the Civil War to Northern soil and to recruit sympathetic Marylanders. Union Gen. George B. McClellan’s Army of the Potomac pursued Lee who had detached Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s force to capture the Union garrison at Harpers Ferry. After the Federals pushed the remaining Confederates out of the South Mountain gaps, Lee awaited Jackson’s return near Sharpsburg and Antietam Creek.

On September 17, at the Battle of Antietam, the two armies clashed in the bloodiest single day in American history and suffered some 23,000 casualties. Lee soon retreated across the Potomac, ending his first invasion of the north.

Follow in the footsteps of Gens. Lee and McClellan along Maryland Civil War Trails’ Antietam Campaign: Lee Invades Maryland, a 90 mile tour route that allows you to explore the stories of triumph and tragedy at more than 60 Civil War sites. Please travel carefully as you enjoy the beauty and history along the trail.

Illustration captions on marker:
“Gen. Robert E. Lee” [photo, upper middle]
“Gen. George B. McClellan” [photo, center middle]
“The Confederate army crosses
"1862 Antietam Campaign" Marker with the "Mt. Ephraim Crossroads" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller
2. "1862 Antietam Campaign" Marker with the "Mt. Ephraim Crossroads" Marker
- together on the grounds of the Comis Inn Restaurant, west of Old Hundred Rd.
the Potomac River into Maryland” [engraving, upper right]
“Franklin's Corps storming Crampton’s Gap on South Mountain” [engraving, lower middle]

“1862 Antietam Campaign – Lee Invades Maryland” [map of Confederate movements in the Maryland counties of Montgomery, Frederick and Washington]
 
Erected 2014 by Maryland Civil War Trails.
 
Location. 39° 14.89′ N, 77° 21.002′ W. Marker is in Dickerson, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Old Hundred Road (Maryland Route 109) and Comus Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at the northwest corner of the Historic Comus Inn's northern parking lot - west of Old Hundred Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23900 Old Hundred Rd., Dickerson MD 20842, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Ephraim Crossroads (a few steps from this marker); Sugarloaf Mountain (approx. 2.3 miles away); Sugar Loaf Mountain (approx. 2.4 miles away); Barnesville (approx. 2.5 miles away); a different marker also named Barnesville
The Historic Comus Inn image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller
3. The Historic Comus Inn
(approx. 2.5 miles away); Women on the Homefront in Montgomery County (approx. 2.8 miles away); Hyattstown (approx. 2.9 miles away); Hyattstown Mill (approx. 3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Comus Inn. (Submitted on August 15, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Additional keywords. Antietam Campaign; "The Historic Comus Inn"; the Johnson-Wolfe Farm (Comus Inn); Sugarloaf Mountain.
 
Categories. Notable PlacesRoads & VehiclesWar, US Civil
 
National Register of Historic Places: <i>The Historic Comus Inn</i>: image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 9, 2014
4. National Register of Historic Places: The Historic Comus Inn:

"This property
is listed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior"
Sugarloaf Mountain in the background - view northward from the patio behind the Historic Comus Inn image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 3, 2014
5. Sugarloaf Mountain in the background - view northward from the patio behind the Historic Comus Inn
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 53 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos:   1. submitted on August 14, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   2, 3, 4. submitted on August 15, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   5. submitted on September 8, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement