The Round Church / Richmond, Vermont
The Round Church
This 16-sided church, Richmond's first meeting house, was built by a group led by William Rhodes in 1812-12 on land donated by Issac Gleason & Thomas Whitcomb. The first Proprietors were members of five denominations: Baptist, Christian, Congregational, Methodist & Universalist. Richmond Town Meetings were held here for 160 years, until 1973, when it was closed due to structural problems an for restoration. Maintained by the Richmond Historical Society, and staffed by volunteers, this National Historic Landmark is used for tours, meetings, ecumenical services, weddings, and concerts.
Richmond sits along a natural east-west corridor, the Winooski River. The Abenaki used this corridor for 10,000 to 12,000 years. Archaeologists have established a fall hunting site used around 1500 AD at the mouth of the Huntington River. Richmond was created by an Act of the Vermont Legislature on October 2y7, 1794 from parts of the towns of New Huntington, Williston & Jericho. A small section of Bolton was annexed on October 25, 1804. The first businesses in town were located near this church. Richmond was also a stopping point for early travelers on the Winooski Turnpike (US Route 2) between Burlington and Montpelier. After the railroad was completed in 1849, the town center shifted to the
Erected 2003 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 44° 23.968′ N, 72° 59.938′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Vermont, in Chittenden County. Marker is on Bridge Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VT 05477, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Citizens of Richmond (within shouting distance of this marker); Richmond's Fallen Son (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Tribute to the Cochran Family of Richmond, VT (about 300 feet away); Edmunds' Birthplace (approx. 2.1 miles away); Huntington Gorge / Deaths at the Huntington Gorge (approx. 2.6 miles away); "Snowflake" Bentley (approx. 5 miles away); Early Black Settlers (approx. 6.6 miles away); Chittenden Mills (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . The Old Round Church - Richmond Historical Society. (Submitted on August 20, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 20, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.