Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Princess Anne Port

 
 
Princess Anne Port Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Umberger
1. Princess Anne Port Marker
Inscription. This site was used from 1699 when Governor Nicholson designated it as one of two ports for Williamsburg, the colonial capital of Virginia.

This port was used primarily for the export of tobacco, the basis of Virginia's economy, and also as a landing and military supply port.

Placed by the Reverend James Blair Chapter, Virginia Society, Colonial Dames XVII Century and the City of Williamsburg.
 
Erected 1989 by Reverend James Blair Chapter, Virginia Society, Colonial Dames XVII Century and the City of Williamsburg.
 
Location. 37° 15.141′ N, 76° 42.618′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from South Henry Street (Virginia Route 132) 0.6 miles north of Humelsine Parkway (Virginia Route 199). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2102 South Henry Street, Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Great Neck (approx. half a mile away); Mill Dam (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Palisades (approx. 0.7 miles away); Williamsburg Confederate Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); Littletown
Princess Anne Port Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 23, 2016
2. Princess Anne Port Marker
The marker at the top of the hill at College Landing Park, with College Creek in the background.
(approx. 1.2 miles away); The Public Hospital of 1773 (approx. 1.2 miles away); Indian School at the College of William & Mary (approx. 1.2 miles away); In Gallia Nati Mortui in Virginia (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
More about this marker. The marker is accessible from a flight of concrete stairs leading up a hill from the College Landing Park parking lot. After entering the park, the hill is on the left.
 
Also see . . .  Port Anne's Place in Colonial History. Port Anne Homeowners Association (Submitted on August 26, 2014.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Princess Anne Port area image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 23, 2016
3. Princess Anne Port area
This view to the south is from the area around the current College Landing Park that was once the Princess Anne Port. The Humelsine Parkway Bridge can be seen in the distance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 23, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2014, by Michael Umberger of Williamsburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 363 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 26, 2014, by Michael Umberger of Williamsburg, Virginia.   2, 3. submitted on October 23, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement