Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Keslers Cross Lanes in Nicholas County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Keslers Cross Lanes / First County Court

 
 
Kesslers Cross Lanes side of marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe
1. Kesslers Cross Lanes side of marker
Inscription.  
Keslers Cross Lanes. Here at the crossroads was an area of early settlement and growth. In 1854 Fred Kessler & John Vaughan opened store; Vaughan appointed postmaster. Site of first meeting of Nicholas County Court; significant Civil War actions of Cross Lanes and Carnifex Ferry in 1861; first Normal School for teacher training held in Malcolm’s Store in 1889, later moved to Old Temperance Hall and then to Summersville.

First County Court. On April 9, 1818, nearby was log home of John Hamilton, site of the organization of Nicholas County. John Duffield elected High Sheriff; John Given, County Clerk; C.W. Cottle & E. Rian to Virginia Assembly; and John Hamilton, Colonel of Militia by sixteen justices. Split on county seat site; moved to farm of John Groves then Peter’s Creek Rd., now Summersville.
 
Erected 2011 by West Virginia Archives and History.
 
Location. 38° 14.004′ N, 80° 56.08′ W. Marker is in Keslers Cross Lanes, West Virginia, in Nicholas County. Marker is at the intersection of
First County Court side of marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 14, 2019
2. First County Court side of marker
West Virginia Route 129 and Whitewater Road (County Route 9), on the left when traveling south on State Route 129. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Keslers Cross Lanes WV 26675, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cross Lanes Battle (here, next to this marker); Zoar Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Kesslers Cross Lanes (approx. half a mile away); Fight At Ramsey’s Fort (approx. ¾ mile away); The Battle of Carnifex Ferry (approx. 1.6 miles away); Henry Patterson House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Camp Gauley (approx. 1.7 miles away); Carnefix Ferry (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Keslers Cross Lanes.
 
More about this marker. This marker is no longer “here at the crossroads.” It was originally erected at 38° 14.12′ N, 80° 56.115′ W, at the crossroads of Summersville Lake and Whitewater Roads (Routes 129 and 9). It was moved here between 2014 and 2019.
 
Categories. EducationSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Cross Lanes Battle and Keslers Cross Lanes Markers image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 14, 2019
3. Cross Lanes Battle and Keslers Cross Lanes Markers
 

More. Search the internet for Keslers Cross Lanes / First County Court.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 332 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 5, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland.   2, 3. submitted on August 19, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement