St. Stephen's Church
The New North Meeting House
erected in 1714 and enlarged in 1730
At the request of General Washington, March 28, 1776
immediately following the evacuation of Boston by the British
The Reverend Andrew Eliot, then minister,
preached a sermon of thanksgiving
"In the presence of his Excellency and a respectable audience"
The present building was designed by
Charles Bulfinch in 1802
and its bell was cast by Paul Revere
It was enlarged and rededicated in 1875 as
St. Stephen's Church
under the Reverend George Foxcroft Haskins,
founder of the "House of the Angel Guardian" for Boys.
Location. 42° 21.947′ N, 71° 3.231′ W. Marker is in Boston, Massachusetts, in Suffolk County. Marker can be reached from Unity Street. Marker is in Paul Revere Mall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boston MA 02113, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Winthrop / Nicholas Upsall / Cotton Mather / John Hull (here, next to this marker); The Salutation Tavern / The Green Dragon Tavern (here, To Those Men of the North End / Thomas Cass (a few steps from this marker); Sir William Phips / Joseph Warren / John Manley / Edmund Hartt (a few steps from this marker); John Tileston / To Those Men of the North End (a few steps from this marker); Samuel Tucker / Increase Mather / Edward Holyoke / Edward Everett / Christian Gullager (a few steps from this marker); Benjamin Franklin (a few steps from this marker); Christ Church (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boston.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for St. Stephen's Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.