Kingsport in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Douglass High School
The only school for African Americans in Kingsport began in 1913 as the Oklahoma Grove School near downtown. With Rosenwald and community funds, the first Douglass School building was constructed in 1928. A new structure was erected on this site in 1951 for students in kindergarten through 12th grade. Named for abolitionist Frederick Douglass (1818-1895), the school thrived under the strong leadership of longtime principals A.H. Howell and V. O Dobbins, Sr.
African American students from Scott County, Virginia, also attended Douglass. It was accredited by the state in 1946, and by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in the 1960's, by which time it was among the largest black high schools in the tri-state area. Because of school desegregation, Douglass' final graduation exercises took place on June 8, 1966. Thereafter the building housed the V.O. Dobbins Community Center.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1A 143.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools, and the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 36° 32.13′ N, 82° 33.199′ W. Marker is in Kingsport, Tennessee, in Sullivan Touch for map. The marker is located East of the actual address listed for the building, on Wheatley Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Louis Street, Kingsport, TN, Kingsport TN 37660, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Donelson Flotilla (approx. half a mile away); Avery Treaty (approx. 0.6 miles away); Train Depot (approx. 0.8 miles away); Bank Of Kingsport (approx. 0.8 miles away); Kingsport Drug (approx. 0.8 miles away); Western Union Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); State Theater (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Gem Theatre (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingsport.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2014, by Lisa Barnett of Jonesborough, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2014, by Lisa Barnett of Jonesborough, Tennessee. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.