Near DeWitt in Saline County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The first settlement buildings, including a store and a sawmill, were constructed about 1865. In 1865, William Remington donated the land on which the town was located. The first meeting of the Saline County Commissioners took place there at Cline's Mill on February 17, 1866. Swan City was officially platted on October 8, 1866.
Swan City grew to a community of some 200. Its thriving business section included a hotel. The O'Connor Circus spent a few winters in Swan City.
In 1871, the county seat was moved from Swan City to Pleasant Hill. That same year, the railroad was being built through the Blue River Valley, two and a half miles from Swan City. Most of the town's business community wanted to be near the railroad and moved to either DeWitt or Wilber within two years.
The last vestige of Swan City was the flour mill which continued to operate until it burned in 1891. Swan City thus joined the ranks of ghost towns.
Erected by Saline County Historical Society; Historical Land Mark Council. (Marker Number 48.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 24.39′ N, 96° 57.373′ W. Marker is near DeWitt, Nebraska, in Saline County. Marker is on State Highway 103, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. 2 miles northwest of DeWitt. Marker is in this post office area: De Witt NE 68341, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Czech Capital (approx. 5.2 miles away); Plymouth (approx. 7.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.2 miles away); A Legacy of Change (approx. 10.2 miles away); Deep Roots in the Earth (approx. 10.3 miles away); Roads to Success (approx. 10.7 miles away); Daniel and Agnes Freeman (approx. 10.7 miles away); Success Was Only Natural (approx. 10.8 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 13 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on September 1, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.