Cody came to Nebraska in 1869 as guide and scout for the 5th Cavalry at nearby Fort McPherson. He also served as guide for the wealthy and famous on buffalo hunts. Buffalo Bill first went on the stage in 1872, and he formed his first "Wild West" in 1883. He was also involved in ranching and farming, and he was a pioneer in the development of irrigation in both Nebraska and Wyoming.
Scout's Rest was built for Buffalo Bill in 1886 as a place to relax between show tours. Here he entertained in elaborate style his famous contemporaries as well as his old friends of frontier days. Scout's Rest was named to the National Register of Historic Places on January 30, 1978. The house is in Second Empire style with Italianate and Eastlake features; it cost $3,900. The rear addition was added in 1909.
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
Nebraska State Historical Society
Erected by Saline County; Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 232.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society
Location. 41° 9.772′ N, 100° 47.737′ W. Marker is in North Platte, Nebraska, in Lincoln County. Marker can be reached from Scout's Rest Ranch Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This historical marker is located on the grounds of a Nebraska State Historical Park between the house and barn. Marker is in this post office area: North Platte NE 69101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sioux Lookout (approx. 2.6 miles away); 20th Century Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away); United States POW-MIA History (approx. 4.2 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 344 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on September 3, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 12, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.