Collierville in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
First Baptist Church
The church at this site burned in 1909 and again in 1944 and would be rebuilt each time. Additional land was purchased through the years, and in 1978 a thousand-seat sanctuary was built at a cost of $713,236. This property was the home of Collierville First Baptist Church for a hundred and ten years until their move to Byhalia Road in 1995. In 1993, the property was sold to the Town of Collierville and used briefly as government offices. In August 2005, the town removed the church buildings and this park was established. In May 2009, the park was named “Tom Brooks Park” in honor of his contributions to the Collierville community.
Erected 2009 by Town of Collierville.
Location. 35° 2.636′ N, 89° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Collierville TN 38017, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chalmers's Collierville Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Collierville (within shouting distance of this marker); Tom Brooks Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Collierville High School (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Presbyterian Church of Collierville (about 400 feet away); Collierville United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Collierville, Tenn. (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collierville.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2014, by Judy King of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2014, by Judy King of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.